Wednesday, April 2, 2014

The Most Correct of Any Book

I have just finished reading, for the second time, the Book of Mormon from cover to cover! What I have always found interesting is that each time I have read this record, I have noticed within myself a greater desire to read it even more! So I continue to read the book and always find a few verses that mean something special to me.

The scriptures do not really help us unless we supplement our learning with prayer.
https://www.lds.org/media-library/images/hands-scriptures-917541?lang=eng&category
 Through this journey, I noticed something really cool right at the beginning. In 1 Nephi 1:3, it says “And I know that the record which I make is true; and I make it with mine own hand; and I make it according to my knowledge.” [See Footnote 1] Out of this verse, there is one phrase that stuck out. It is the phrase where Nephi declares the validity of this record. He simply states “the record which I make is true.” On the word ‘true’, there is a footnote that goes to the bottom of the page and references 5 other passages in the Book of Mormon. These references are 1 Nephi 14:30, 2 Nephi 25:20, Mosiah 1:6, Alma 3:12, and Ether 5:3 (1-3). I will just list them here, respectively:

“And now I make an end of speaking concerning the things which I saw while I was carried away in the Spirit; and if all the things which I saw are not written, the things which I have written are true. And thus it is. Amen.” [2]

“And now, my brethren, I have spoken plainly that ye cannot err. And as the Lord God liveth that brought Israel up out of the land of Egypt, and gave unto Moses power that he should heal the nations after they had been bitten by the poisonous serpents, if they would cast their eyes unto the serpent which he did raise up before them, and also gave him power that he should smite the rock and the water should come forth; yea, behold I say unto you, that as these things are true, and as the Lord God liveth, there is none other name given under heaven save it be this Jesus Christ, of which I have spoken, whereby man can be saved.” [3]

“O my sons, I would that ye should remember that these sayings are true, and also that these records are true. And behold, also the plates of Nephi, which contain the records and the sayings of our fathers from the time they left Jerusalem until now, and they are true; and we can know of their surety because we have them before our eyes.” [4]

“And it is they who have kept the records which are true of their people, and also of the people of the Lamanites.” [5]

“And now I, Moroni, have written the words which were commanded me, according to my memory; and I have told you the things which I have sealed up; therefore touch them not in order that ye may translate; for that thing is forbidden you, except by and by it shall be wisdom in God.
“And behold, ye may be privileged that ye may show the plates unto those who shall assist to bring forth this work;
“And unto three shall they be shown by the power of God; wherefore they shall know of a surety that these things are true.” [6]

These are 6 different occurences in which 4 different historians and prophets in the Book of Mormon have testified to their relatives, friends, and even us today that these things are true. Not only these authors wrote concerning this, but the Prophet Joseph Smith himself said that “the Book of Mormon was the most correct of any book on earth… and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts, than by any other book.” [7] Just by looking through the footnotes and remembering the things I have read before, I have been able to find so many witnesses from prophets that these things are indeed true!

Not only have these prophets spoken to us in a way that we can hear their voice today, but I have received personal witness from God that these things are true. I have taken the challenge given by Moroni in the last chapter of the Book of Mormon:

“Behold, I would exhort you that when ye shall read these things, if it be wisdom in God that ye should read them, that ye would remember how merciful the Lord hath been unto the children of men, from the creation of Adam even down until the time that ye shall receive these things, and ponder it in your hearts.
“And when ye shall receive these things, I would exhort you that ye would ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost.
“And by the power of the Holy Ghost ye may know the truth of all things.” [8]

I have taken this challenge in my own life and tried it. I did not see a miraculous vision. I did not hear the voice of God screaming in my head. But I was filled with a peace unlike any other. Through this peaceful feeling that I have received, I can most certainly say that I know that this book is the word of God, preserved for a time when He knew the world would need it the most. If you have not been able to experience this yet, then please go to the website http://mormon.org/free-book-of-mormon, and request your free copy so that you can experience the same joy I have. Please!

I also found another scripture that really meant a lot to me. It is found in Moroni 8 and it is verse 14:

“And I am the same who hideth up this record unto the Lord; the plates thereof are of no worth, because of the commandment of the Lord. For he truly saith that no one shall have them to get gain; but the record thereof is of great worth; and whoso shall bring it to light, him will the Lord bless.” [9]

A Model of the Plates, by Steven Pratt
https://www.lds.org/new-era/2007/07/what-did-the-golden-plates-look-like?lang=eng
This scripture resounded over and over again in my mind after I read it. The plates that this record are on are of no value. Yes, they weigh a lot! If they were solid gold [which we do not believe (https://www.lds.org/new-era/2007/07/what-did-the-golden-plates-look-like?lang=eng) but for the purpose of this, we will imagine they were], and they weighed approximately 50 lbs, and if the price of an ounce of gold in the US is roughly $900, then that would place the value of the plates at $720,000! That is a lot of money! But here, Moroni says that they will never be of this worth because they will never be found except for the purpose of blessing the lives of God’s children. So because of this, the plates are of no value. But the record contained within is of more value than we can even imagine.

I cannot express enough my love for God. He has helped me to grow through a million different trials, and He continues to help me every day. As I have read and continue to read the scriptures, I have felt His love more and more and I know that this will never end, as long as I do my part.

Footnotes:
(Any emphasis given has been added to these references)
9- Mormon 8:14

(This post was originally compiled in January 2014)

No comments:

Post a Comment